Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's been awhile!

Wow, has it really been this long since I posted last?? To be honest, I kind of forgot about the ol' blog for awhile. I guess it's just because after the move from San Diego I was in a totally different place and a totally different routine....actually I'm not in much of a routine at all....it has been something different pretty much every day for the last couple months...

I guess my biggest news to report since my last post is that, 2 or 3 weeks ago, I got a job teaching 4th grade language arts at a GREAT school in Katy ISD. It really is SUCH an answered prayer. I had been praying about it quite a bit every day. There were times that I felt so discouraged...As a matter of fact, the night before I found out I got the job was probably the most down I had felt in my whole job search. But lo and behold, the very next day God came through as He always does. Honestly, if I could have picked any teaching position I wanted, I would have picked 4th grade language arts. I think it's such a great age, and I love spelling, grammar, reading, writing, etc. I will also be teaching social studies to my homeroom...I love social studies, so I'm really excited about that too. I know that preparing my students for the TAKS test will be stressful at times, but I welcome the challenge. I think life would be boring if we never had anything to really challenge us.

Another big happening in our lives is that we signed a 6-month lease on an apartment in Katy, and we will be moving in in a couple weeks. We had originally planned to buy a house right away and skip the apartment thing, but we need to be all moved in somewhere before August (since that is going to be such a busy time for me with school starting and everything), and we decided we didn't want to rush the whole home-buying process. Sooo, we will be in an apartment for 6 months, and we will have plenty of time to find our "dream home" with as little stress as possible. Having a dog, it is going to be tough going from townhouse life with a backyard back to apartment life with no backyard, but I think we can handle it for 6 months. And our apartment has a garage so that will help to make the transition a little smoother.

In other news, I met my team yesterday (the 9 other 4th grade teachers I will be teaching with - yes, NINE...it's a big school!), and they are all so sweet and fun! I can tell it's going to be a great year! I'm so excited and ready for school to start, but I don't want to rush it too much because I know the rest of the summer is going to FLY by. I have several trainings and professional learning things I am going to be attending over the next few weeks, in addition to moving into our apartment. I think this afternoon I'm going to go to one of the teacher supply stores and start picking up a few things for my classroom...little by little, I'll get it all put together. The entire 4th grade is in portables, so that makes it a little more challenging to make my room look cute, but I'm determined to make it as nice as it can possibly be...it just might require a few more posters, etc. to cover up those lovely 70's-style brown paneled walls. ;)

Well I guess that's about all I have to report for now, but I promise to post a lot more frequently than once-every-2 months from here on out :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, That's what I teach!!! The best part of teaching writing is that the TAKS test is over in Early March and then your stress is over. I always say ignorance is bliss while waiting for the scores (they don't come in till the end of May). All the other teachers will have to stress over their TAKS test until the middle of April. If you ever have any questions, I would be happy to tell you what I know (which isn't much even though I've been doing 4th Grade writing for 5 years). I'm sure you have all the resources you need with 9 co-teachers...I'm jealous! Good luck with the move and the job, I know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete