Saturday, February 20, 2010

Telluride

Wow, has it really been since September that I have posted?? I am horrible about this, but I will get better...someday. :) Anyway, we got back Wednesday night from an absolutely wonderful trip to Telluride, CO. We met Kami and Donny (my sister and brother-in-law) and a couple of their friends (Brian and Heather who we'd only met once before, but we will definitely have to hang out again because they live in Houston and they are so much fun!) there. Donny's dad owns a beautiful home there:
It was ski-in, ski-out with several luxurious guest suites, 2 hot tubs, upstairs/downstairs kitchens and living areas...really just too much to even name. One of the neatest things was that all of the wood and stone in the house was from some sort of cool place or story. For instance, the logs were all involved in a forest fire, so that's why they have the dark markings on them.

We had a blast skiing and hanging out in Telluride. On Valentine's Day while we were eating lunch we noticed that Ed Helms (Andy from The Office, also from The Hangover) was eating at the table next to us with a couple other guys. After debating back and forth for a while (should we try to get a picture with him, should we not? The guys were obviously leaning towards NOT, but the girls were just too tempted!), Kami was brave enough to tell him we were big fans and ask if we could get a picture. I'm so glad she did because he was very friendly! He asked where we were from and we talked for a bit. We assumed he was just their for vacation so we didn't ask, but it turns out he was in town for some sort of comedy show that he was doing with some other guys. We didn't know that until later on when we saw the sign for it, and we called to try and get tickets, but it was sold out. :( mwah mwah. Oh well, it was still really neat to meet him because we are all huge fans of The Office!
Pictured L-R Heather, me, Andy (well I guess it's actually Ed but it seems much more natural to call him Andy), and Kamster!

We did a little shopping around Telluride that afternoon, and that evening we had Valentine's Day dinner at Allred's. Allred's is a really neat restaurant on the mountain (you have to ride the gondola to get there!) where Will, our next door neighbor from when we were kids in San Antonio, is a chef! It was so great to see him, and of course the food was delicious! I wish we would have gotten a picture with him because we ended up not being able to get together after that. At least we got to see him for a short time....what a small world this is! I miss those childhood days in San Antonio with the "Winter Hill Gang."

Most of the remainder of our time in Telluride was spent snow skiing. I hadn't skied since we went to Big Bear in California a couple years ago, but it's just like riding a bike - it's easy to pick right back up where you left off. We had so much fun...I really love skiing, and I've decided I want to try to go at least once every 2 years from here on out.
The whole group:
Sean and I on the "See Forever" run:


On Wednesday morning we left for our flight back to Houston. At least we only had 2 days until the weekend, so it kind of eased us back into the real world, but it was still sad to leave. I just love traveling...can't wait to start the countdown to the next trip! For now, I just have to focus on getting my students through the Writing TAKS successfully...I will say it was nice to come back to my little ducklings on Thursday! I kind of missed them even though I only missed 2 days of school. I call them my little ducklings because when they follow me in line it reminds me of ducklings. Some of the boys aren't too crazy about the idea of being called "ducklings" but I stick with it anyway. Hehe :)

No comments:

Post a Comment